There are many ways to increase online awareness of your Caribbean hotel, destination, tour company, or resort. Conversion rate optimization is one particular way and happens when a website is improved so that the path leading from the landing page to the desired action (usually the desired action is to make a booking) is altered.
It is important to note that while the choice of internet outlets should be based on your resort’s strengths, conversion rate optimization, search engine optimization, and email marketing have been proven to provide the highest return on investment for most hotels & resorts.
A lot more goes into conversation rate optimization then adding a pop-up special on your website or a button that follows the potential guest around reminding them to ‘book now!’ When looking to better your direct bookings conversion rate examine the following aspects of your web presence and see where you can improve the user experience:
- Remove choices
- If you have too many room categories, the potential guest will become overwhelmed and move on to someone else. Guests simply want to book a comfortable room that suits their budget.
- Don’t be ‘loud’
- You could also read loud as pushy. Too pushy and you’ll increase the booking anxiety in your potential guest.
- Reduce booking anxiety
- You can easily do this by showing rate parity and being upfront and clear about your cancellation policies.
- Increase affinity
- Show what emotional benefit your property will give the guest. Will they be relaxed? Have new and exciting adventures? Or will they experience the most romantic time of their lives?
- Have a clear call to action
- In the same vein, you can create a sense of urgency on your website. Let customers know how many rooms are left, or when a package deal ends.
- Reduce text
- Think about how you ‘read’ online. It’s definitely different than reading a book or even a newspaper. Most people skim, looking for the information they need in order to make a decision. Pictures speak 1000 words in this case, as do icons and other visualizations.
With regards to your website design:
7. Always design with the user in mind.
8. Keep your website consistent with your branding.
9. Include needed information but don’t overwhelm.